Hot Relief Installation Instructions (Joomla 1.5)
Published on Friday, 25 March 2011 12:10
Written by Milos Stankovic
How to install free Joomla template HOT Relief. This tutorial covers installation of template for Joomla 1.5.
We assumed that you have clean Joomla installed on your server with sample data loaded. Please don't try these instructions on sites with existing content. In this case, you may find this article useful: Change Joomla template.
The easiest way to copy the sample data is to import SQL database dump. You should import it using tools such as phpMyAdmin. Download database dump for Hot Relief (Joomla 1.5) and read more about importing Joomla database using phpMyAdmin. Don't forget to upload pictures to the /images/stories folder.
If you were unable to import the SQL dump, you should do some modifications in Joomla directly, as explained below:
Step by step installation process:
- Install clean Joomla 1.5. Click "Install Sample Data" button during installation.
- Install this template using standard Joomla template installation method and make it default in template manager. Now, you should have site as on image 1. Not so good! Let's make it better.
- Fix the top menu. Go to Module manager and click on Top Menu (user3).
- Tab Module Parameters: Select "Menu Style": List. Select Yes for "Always show sub-menu Items". See image 2.
- Tab Advanced Parameters: Delete "-nav" from Menu Class Suffix and type "nav" for Menu Tag ID. See image 3.
- Click Save.
- To make some sub text on top menu items, go to Menus > Top Menu and click any menu item (or add new). Enter menu items names as, in example Big Text||Small text (where || will divide it). To make drop-down submenus, add some submenu items (create new menu item and assign top level menu item as it's parent). See image 4.
- Let's create the image slide show next!
- First, you should have your images prepared (resolution on our demo is 960x275px). Download our free Hot Image Slider module for Joomla 1.5.
- Go to Extensions > Install/Uninstall. Choose file "mod_hot_image_slider.zip" and click "Upload File & Install" button.
- Go to Extensions > Module Manager. Click on "HOT Image Slider".
- Set all parameters. For details see image 5.
- Bottom modules: Go to Module Manager and change modules Resources and Example Pages: For both modules:
- Select positions user5 and user6.
- Select Menu Type: List.
- Under Menu Assignment select All.
- Add another custom module (Module Manager > New > Custom HTML) in position user7.
- So far, you should have site similar as on the image 6.
- Let's make it less "busy".
- In the Article Manager, you can select some articles NOT to show on the front page. See image 7.
- In the Module Manager, you can disable modules from positions user1 and user2 if you don't need them, or move them to left or right positions.
- Footer modules:
- In the Module Manager, disable Banners module from the footer position.
- You can delete Footer module as well and create new Custom HTML module with your copyright info in the position footer.
- Change position of the module Key Concepts to bottom. Select Menu Type: List.
- You site is now similar to the image 8. That's the end of this tutorial. You should proceed with further changes in content pages, menu items and so on.