How to install free Joomla template HOT Relief. This tutorial covers installation of template for Joomla 1.6.
We assumed that you have clean Joomla installed on your server with sample data loaded. Please don't try these instructions on sites with existing content. In this case, you may find this article useful: Change Joomla template.
The easiest way to copy the sample data is to import SQL database dump. You should import it using tools such as phpMyAdmin. Download database dump for Hot Relief (Joomla 1.5 or 1.6) and read more about importing Joomla database using phpMyAdmin. Don't forget to upload pictures to the /images/stories folder for Joomla 1.5 or /images/sampledata folder for Joomla 1.6.
If you were unable to import the SQL dump, you should do some modifications in Joomla directly, as explained below:
Step by step installation process:
- Install clean Joomla 1.6. Click "Install Sample Data" button during installation.
- Install this template using standard Joomla template installation method and make it default in template manager. Now, you should have site as on image 1. Not so good! Let's make it better!
- Fix the top menu. Go to Extensions > Module manager, select Type > Menu, and click on "Top" module.
- For Show Title, select Hide. For "Show Sub-menu Items" select Yes.
- Under "Advanced Options" tab, type "nav" for Menu Tag ID.
- Make sure everything is as on image 2. Then click "Save & Close".
- To make some sub text on top menu items, go to Menus > Top, and click any menu item (or add new). Enter menu items names as, in example Big Text || Small text (where || will divide it). To make drop-down submenus, add some submenu items (create new menu item and assign top level menu item as it's parent). See image 3.
- Let's create the image slide show next!
- First, you should have your images prepared (resolution on our demo is 960x275px). Download our free Hot Image Slider module for Joomla 1.6.
- Go to Extensions > Extensions Manager. Choose file "mod_hot_image_slider16.zip" and click "Upload & Install" button. You will get message about successful installation.
- Go to Extensions > Module Manager. Click on "HOT Image Slider".
- Set all parameters and save it. For details see image 4. In this sample, images (slide1.jpg, slide2.jpg and slide3.jpg) are stored in "<joomla-root>/images/sampledata" folder. You can use different image names and folder.
- Go to Module Manager and publish some module in 'newsflashload' position. In our example, we used "News Flash: Random" module.
- If you'd like to have the right column, please publish some modules in 'position-5'. In our example, we used "Login" module.
- Bottom modules: Go to Module Manager and publish some modules in positions user5, user6, user7 and user8.
- Footer modules: Go to Module Manager, edit Footer module. Select to be published on all pages, and disable module title. Now edit any Menu module (in example Australian Parks) and select to be published on all pages, disable module title and change its module position to 'bottom'.
- You site is now similar to the image 5. That's the end of this tutorial. You should proceed with further changes in content pages, menu items and so on. You can also edit template parameters (Extensions > Template Manager > hot_relief) to change colors and layout of the template.